Tomorrow I'm going to MYA. MYA stands for Midwest Young Artists. It is a youth orchestra program that meets in Highwood, IL. I play in the Philharmonia Orchestra which is the middle level orchestra in the program. I love MYA for five main reasons:
1. Mr. Pearson is really cool. He is my orchestra conductor.
2. The music there is challenging, but fun, and I love playing orchestra music. This concert, we are playing the Beethoven Prometheus Overture, at least I think we are. And I'm sure we are playing March to the Scaffold by Berlioz. March to the Scaffold has a cool clarinet solo, which I want to try out for.
3. I like the competition for chair seating. Every concert we have a seating audition to determine ranking in each section. It's okay if you don't do well, because there is always the next seating audition to work for if you don't like where you're placed.
4. I like the music theory program, especially this year, because Mr. Kupfer is back from Europe. Mr. Kupfer always makes you do what's hard for you. For example, I am bad at remembering my flat scales, and so Mr. Kupfer always makes me work on that during my theory class each week.
5. The kids are really nice. I have made lots of friends there.
Every week, I look forward to going to MYA. Sometimes I have conflicts because I play travel soccer. Tomorrow, I have to miss a game to go to rehearsal because I've already missed two rehearsals, and if I miss 3 rehearsals, I can't play in the concert at the end of the month. I don't want to quit soccer, but I prefer rehearsals to soccer games. And that's saying a lot, because I love soccer.
Here's a link to MYA's website.